WHO WE ARE
Capital theatres operates two busy venues in Edinburgh, the Festival Theatre (1,900 seats) and the King’s Theatre (1,300 seats) - plus the Studio at the Festival Theatre - with a broad range of different productions throughout the year. Capital theatres, which is a registered charity, was formed in July 1998 with the merger of the two theatres. It is the largest independent theatre management organisation in Scotland.
The Festival Theatre stands on the site of the old Empire Theatre and opened in 1994, boasting the largest stage of any presenting house in Britain at the time. Today, at just over 2,500 square feet it is the largest performance area in Scotland, second only to the Royal Opera House in the UK, and is established as one of the country’s most prestigious venues. Not only is it the Capital’s home for Scottish Ballet and Scottish Opera, and at the heart of the Edinburgh International Festival, it has also gained an international reputation as one of the leading dance houses in the world. The 1915-seat venue hosts a cutting-edge contemporary dance season alongside large-scale musicals, international ballet productions and a variety of one-night musical events.
The Studio, 22 Potterrow, was opened in Summer 2013 and now plays host to a full programme of smaller-scale productions, festivals, rehearsals and learning and particpation acitivites.
The King’s plays host to major touring drama, including West End, National Theatre of Scotland and Royal Shakespeare Company productions. The venue was built as a variety theatre in 1906 and over the years has played host to legendary performers such as Stanley Baxter, Rikki Fulton and Jimmy Logan. The 1350-seat venue continues to play a prominent role in the community, hosting the ever-popular King’s pantomime and a number of productions from local amateur societies throughout the year.